Monday 12 November 2012

A Smashing Time

On Saturday I went with a friend to a Hope & Elvis workshop with Janine Nelson. It was a mosaic workshop and it involved smashing china, PVA glue and tweezers. It was a lot of fun and I think that I came away with a new skill. We made various items but as they had to be left for 24 hours for the glue to dry so they are not yet grouted. I still need to do this. To give you an idea of what I made, and how my items are progressing, there are some photos below.

Mosaic Mirror

Details of Mosaic around a Mirror
The mirror was made in the morning session and then in the afternoon we tried our hand at smaller items. This is where a set of tweezers came in handy as I did have a bit of an issue with too much glue!
Blue and white heart with a piece missing!

Teapot for the kitchen

Luggage label
I was especially pleased with the luggage label. The idea came to me immediately that I could use text from the stamps on the underside of the crockery to mosaic it with. Not a bad idea for a person who isn't artistic! Although the smaller items were more fiddly, I found them to be more satisfying to make.

All in all, it was a smashing day out and I am sure that I will be doing this at home in the near future.
Di x

13 comments:

  1. They all look great - I love the luggage lable idea, can't wait to see them all grouted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant - what fun these are ..... you are learning new crafts all the time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love ceramic mosaics and have always wanted to learn how to do it properly! I love your makes! What a lovely way to spend a day! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they look great Di, looks like you had a fan day out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always fancied learning how to do mosaics. Yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to try out something new, looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no you'll be dropping all your crockery just to reassemble it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I already am very good at smashing the dishes, but the rest looks more challenging. I hope you will share them when they are all done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I like those a lot. That would be just right up my street. Your luggage label with stamps is very clever - bit like those clever people who make selvedges look good! Maybe I'll get you to teach me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day indeed! Love you luggage label! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this gave you a good vent for your frustrations! Looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun isn't it!! I made a wonky house with a sun and a path once, years ago, as a house warming for my sister and her husband and they still have it hanging proudly in their house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh what a fun day! love the little heart especially in fact love all of them xx

    ReplyDelete