Friday 18 May 2012

A bag for London

My journey into sewing started early last year by making a bag. I then made another and then another.
I was using a really cheap sewing machine from Aldi's. It did basic sewing and it was just fine for what I wanted it for. One day it jammed and was found to be beyond repair. I talked with my SIL about sewing machines, as she had just bought a new one. My lovely hubby encouraged me to get a 'good' one, so I ended up with a mid range sewing machine. Oh boy, it was just great to sew lovely straight lines and not feel as if I was fighting the machine. 
Lots of bags

I then decided that I could only make so many bags. One day I 'googled' patchwork quilt tutorials and this led me into the world of blogs, and sewing/quilting blogs, in particular. I lurked for many months as I really didn't know what the protocol of blogging was, and was very baffled by the acronyms, for example, QAL! Over the past year, I have really been bitten by the quilting bug. I have met people through blogging, that I would now consider to be my friends. 

Often things come full circle in life... I have just made another bag! I am looking forward to going to the FQ Retreat in London in a couple of weeks time and I thought that I really should have a themed bag for the occasion! I wanted one that was big enough to carry my junk around in, but not too big that it was a burden to lug around. I looked at various patterns on the net and in the end I used a reversible bag pattern by Amy Butler. I really didn't want a reversible bag so I decided that I would make the inner with a zipped pocket and an open pocket. I fussy cut around my fabric for the outside and picked up some lovely soft brushed 'linen' fabric for the inner.
 Houses of Parliament side
London Bus side

Inner zipper pocket

Open pocket

 I am so pleased with my zip, as it went in well and looks absolutely fine. I also added a magnetic press stud to close the bag with.  I am rather chuffed with how this bag has turned out. My sewing skills are definitely better than a year ago.  So, if you are going to London to the FQ Retreat, you will recognise me by my bag!
Di xo

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! What a difference a year makes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might recognise you by your face too! ;-)

    But the bag looks wonderful. Great fussy cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are a lurker no longer Di! Love the calm greens in your fabric choices - great bag for all those moo cards and goodies I see that are planned for swapping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be keeping my eye out for you and your wonderful bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a stunner Di! And zippy pockets too! There's no stopping you now - you're the new bag lady! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bag Di ---- looking forward to seeing it in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bag is wonderful! You made great use of the fabric's design. You should be very proud of your skills. You have arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh looking forward to seeing what comes out of it!

    ReplyDelete