Sunday 23 June 2013

Reporting in...

The week has just flown by and I have eventually (nearly) caught up on my bee blocks for June. First up was the improv log cabin block for Lynz in the Hipbees. I have to say that it took me until now to make it, as I was dreading doing it. I am not one for wonkiness or making it up as I go along, so this month was a test of my abilities. Once I got started, I really got into it and had a really fun hour making it up as I went along. I just love that about being in a bee. Sometimes you don't think that you can do something and it pushes you out of your comfort zone. Lynz asked for a little of us in the block, so I added a little of Flea Market Fancy as it matched the colour palette. 
Improv log cabin 'Di Style'
I used just about all the fabric that Lynz sent, so I had to piece a little square together together to make the signature block.
Left over pieces from the improv log cabin
I have no idea if this is what improv log cabin really is, but it is my best shot. It went in the post on Friday so it should be with Lynz very soon.

Second up, were Trip a Long blocks for Collette who is June Queenie in the Bee a Brit Stingy. These blocks really did trip along through my sewing machine at great speed. 
Trip a longing for Collette
The block on the right was made with my new fabric that I bought at the Quilt Show at Springfields, in Spalding. I reckon that Collette is going to have a really vibrant quilt once all her blocks are made.

I started this blog with saying nearly all my bee blocks are made. The Bee Blessed blocks are still outstanding. As I have seen where Sarah and Judith meet in Belfast, it makes this Bee more real and so I don't want to let them down. I will do them before the end of the month - promise.

Yesterday was a really nice day. The National Centre for Craft & Design is just down the road in Sleaford. It is based in a former pea warehouse and has been transformed into a truly brilliant space. It is the largest venue in England to be entirely dedicated to contemporary craft and design. Why it is based in Sleaford is beyond me, but it is a jewel in Sleaford's crown! 
National Centre for Craft and Design, Sleaford
Yesterday they had a special day based around crafts with yarn. I planned to drop in and see if there were any demonstrations and be home before 11.00am. I was quite amazed at what was going on as there were workshops and an exhibition along with demonstrations taking place throughout the day. All the workshops were free and included yarn.Their advertising is really poor and the website doesn't say what is going on so it is always a surprise when you show up.

 
So I tried my hand at crocheting in two separate workshops. I can crochet a little but it was great to have someone explain things to you when you got stuck.
In the first workshop I  made a couple of little hearts. I now know what a half treble stitch is!!!
Little crocheted hearts
Then I progressed onto flowers...

And in the second workshop I made a hexagonal granny block.
I had a blast. So much so that I didn't get home until after 3pm! It was a really fun day.
I reckon that I might now have a second craft to pursue as I found crocheting really addictive. Watch this space!!!
Di x


20 comments:

  1. Fantastic blocks and love your crochet. The building looks so cool, I had never even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your trippy blocks for Colette! They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addictive and easily transportable too! Your crochet makes are so cute! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember stumbling upon that place in Sleaford when we went there on a train trip for the day - loved it (best thing about Sleaford!!!) Your crochet is great, and Lynz is so going to love your log cabin block - it's a stunner x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crochet but for some reason just can't really get into it. I keep trying!

    My block is perfect!!! It can take a bit of getting used to not following a pattern but quite liberating once you get the hang. And I LOVE fmf - nice choice, missus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do some amazing things at the Hub don't they. Love your bee blocks and crochet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blocks Di and that craft place looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great to me! And love the Improv, i find it really liberating, and ddictive once I get just sewing and cutting :o). I saw last year the centre was in Sleaford, and no disrespect, couldn't figure out for the life of me why!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your improv log cabin block! I am such an OCD over-planning sort of person that I need to let go every now and then and let the groove take over if you end up with a lovely block like this.

    I also love crochet and it is so relaxing - but for some reason I haven't done it for at least a couple of years. I guess the under-2s aren't very relaxing! I still have a granny square blanket kit that I was meant to make for my youngest as a newborn - oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bee blocks are brilliant, I must get mine moving along too! I know that wool, despite there being some lovely wools out there, is just not my thing, but you hexi granny is really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy beaver - love your crochet and the pink log cabin :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that your log cabin is great. The fmf sits really well with the other colours.

    I'd love to learn to crochet. Not much, don't think I've got a blanket in me, but I'd love to be able to make hearts and flowers like yours to add a little something to my daughters' clothes. One day. ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant crochet! Don't know what you worried about for Lynz's block - it's smashing and so are Collette's trip alongs too! Great crafty weekend by the looks of things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the log cabin turned out, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you can teach me how to crochet if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blocks and I would love to learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The crochet looks great...is it the start of a new addiction?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like a wonderful day - welcome to the hobby/obsession that is crochet!! Love your bee blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds excellent. The hearts are super cute xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. love those blocks and your crochet looks great! If you ever need a hand, just bring it along to our meeting. I'm no expert, but all it takes is a bit of practice.

    ReplyDelete