Saturday 14 April 2012

Psychedelic quilting

Do you remember this quilt top? 
I named it my psychedelic quilt as it is so colourful. It wasn't planned but came about by accident. I was at my quilting group when it was suggested that we beginners had a go at this pattern. We were generously given the run of the host's fabric. I picked out the paisley print and the other colours were chosen to compliment it. 
This quilt is loud, so I decided that I would go with the flow and try a different quilting pattern. At the second meeting that I attended we had a workshop by Angela Dymond called Stitching for Texture and we made a quilting sample book. I decided that I would like to use this pattern

to quilt psychedelic with. Fortunately last Monday was a dreadful rainy day, just perfect for sewing, so I got to it and this is the end result.
I am always a little fearful about layering up a quilt. I have had a couple go rather wrong, but what are blogging friends for but to use their expertise and tips. So I used Judith's excellent tutorial on how to use basting spray. I have to say that it worked a treat.
So here is how the quilting turned out... from the front


...and the back.
Perspective on the Zig zag quilting 
Perspective on the Zig zag quilting 
Zig zag quilting
The quilting is best seen from the back. I used a cheap 'denim' polycotton material that I got from the market. It shows up the quilting a treat. I used two different threads, a yellow/lime variegated one  and orange variegated one.

I am really pleased with how it turned out. It was definitely a step out of my comfort zone both in colour and quilting but I so enjoyed doing it. For the binding, I used up some spare strips and made it two tone and scrappy.
Scrappy binding

Ta Da... here it is finished.

 Below is a close up of the binding.
And finally, this is where it has been decided by the family, as to where it is going to live. When it gets warmer we will use it outside in the garden too.

Di xo

6 comments:

  1. Good on ya Di! It was definitely worth stepping out of your comfort zone on the quilting for this- bet your family are going to love snuggling up in this. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This has turned out brilliantly! So glad you found the basting tute helpful. I love the quilt drapped over the sofa - perfect. V.well done! jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! It looks fab and it's been great to watch it evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a grat finish Di! Have you e-mailed the link to Angela, I'm sure she would be thrilled to see just how you got on? I'll tell her tomorrow when I see her at Pea Room Quilters, Doh! She was here yesterday afternoon eating lemon drizzle cake! Brilliant, you must be chuffed to bits :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt was even more fantastic in the flesh! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete